Tricia Goyer is one of my favorite authors and I have the privilege to be able to have her here as a guest blogger! Her most recent book, which you might have heard me talk about, is called “Lead Your Family Like Jesus.” It is a book written by her, Phil Hodges and Ken Blanchard. You can see the first of my three reviews here, “Lead Your Family Like Jesus.”
In her guest blog with us she is going to discuss what it means to be a leader and how to be a better one. I hope you are truly blessed by her wisdom and for a limited time you can get her book on Kindle for only $1.99 which is an amazing deal. Without further hesitation, here is Tricia.
Three Ways You Are A Leader in Everyday Life … and how to be a better one
Many people are confused about the term “family leader.” As I’ve blogged about moms being leaders I’ve had both men and women pipe up, “But wait, the man’s supposed to be the leader in the home, right?” Yes, but women are leaders, too, in many ways you may not realize.
1. You are a Leader in Your Role As Spouse. Yes, friends, I believe in the “S” word … submission. I believe God has called men to be the spiritual head of the home, and the one to care for and provide for his wife and family and lead the family unit. I believe wives come under their headship in willing submission … yet women are leaders too.
Any time you strive to guide the thoughts, behavior or direction of another person we are a leader! Or as John Quincy Adams said, “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
Go ahead, read that again. Mom, you are a leader! Wife, you are a leader! Your thoughts and attitudes guide your closest relationships. Family leadership can be as intimate as offering words of guidance and encouragement to a discouraged loved one, or it can be as directive as issuing specific instructions on how to drive the family car.
2. You are a Leader in Your Community. A man or a woman’s position as a family leader also extends beyond the four walls of the home. Just think of your roles at your work, at your child’s school, and in your neighborhood. Influence can also be exhibited in your roles as church volunteers and community leaders. These are important roles in our every day life, especially since many couples today are often not well-connected with siblings and parents. Many families are spread out, living far from extended family members. This causes many couples to create their own “family units” with like-minded friends. These are the people they vacation with and spend free time with. Seeking God in roles is important because it’s then couples realize they can be a positive influence in their church and community outside of their own home.
3. You are a Leader in Your Extended Family. Sometimes this is the hardest place to be a leader. We can’t choose our relatives, and sometimes the relationships with parents, siblings, aunts, uncle and cousins can be the hardest. Often people are put into “roles” within their family. Yet in your actions and reactions you are showing leadership—whether you like it or not.
In each of these areas … you make an impact!
As a leader you …
- Build enduring relationships within the home that can have far-reaching impact beyond the home
- Set the basic direction of life values, character development and relational behavior
- Involve seasons of personal sacrifice to promote the spiritual and physical well-being of others
- Sustain love, loyalty, trust, mercy, forbearance, forgiveness, and sacrifice
- Mature and grow
- Foster values of love, compassion, trust, commitment, honesty, and grace within its members.
Think your role as a leader doesn’t matter? Think again. The #1 way you can be a better leader in each of these areas is to pray.
Today take a few minutes to pray for your role as a leader.
Pray for your leadership in your family.
Pray for your leadership in your church.
Pray for your leadership in your neighborhood.
Pray for your leadership at work and school.
Pray that God will show you how to lead.
Pray you will submit to His leadership in your life.
The impact we can have in the lives of people around us can’t be underestimated … and only prayer prepares us for the work ahead!
Get Your Free Printables!
Sign up to get your FREE printables to help you cultivate a relationship with God! Don't miss one more day of connecting with God!